SARMs or Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators are synthetic performance-enhancing drugs that mimic the characteristics of testosterone by binding themselves to androgen receptors. Chemically similar to steroids, they have minimal effects on other tissues other than bones and muscles.
With their effects on bones and muscles, SARMs are highly popular among athletes like runners, weightlifters, and bodybuilders because they enhance the increase of lean muscle mass, promote bone health and fast recovery from injury. Nowadays, selective androgen receptor modulators have many sub-types with each having unique and advantageous features.
There will always be debates on the significance of SARMs until they will become legal commodities and are not only labeled as “under research.” Here are some of the pros and cons of selective androgen receptor stimulators, which should help settle any issue whether to have them for yourself or not.
- Health Benefits – SARMs are known to be powerful agents of muscle mass growth, which in turn results in more muscle strength and prevention of injuries such as fractures, sprains, and strains. They can also aid in faster recovery through their ability to repair tissues. Some selective androgen receptor modulators are developed for specific medical conditions. In the case of LGD-4033, they are potential treatment options for osteoporosis and muscle wasting.
- Minimal Side Effects – It has always been said that SARMs are the friendlier versions of anabolic steroids because they do not have any side effects on the human body. Because they only bind with tissues, specifically bones, and muscles, they do not affect other body organs for that matter. For male users, they do not experience feminization, which is characterized by growth of breasts and shrinking of the testicles while female users will not also experience masculinization such as deepening of voice and abnormal hair growth.
- Stacking Abilities – SARMs can be more potent when combined with other SARMs. For example, LGD-4033 is not a powerful fat-burner. But when it is combined with other SARMs, its potency against fats increases immensely. It can also be stacked to make it more efficient in building muscle mass.
- Availability – They can be availed through online stores, which is more convenient.
- WADA and FDA Pronouncement – The World Anti-Doping Agency or WADA strictly prohibits SARMs in sports. The Food and Drugs Administration has also not approved of SARMs as fit for human consumption.
- Effects to Other Organs – Although selective androgen receptor modulators only bind with muscle and bone tissues, they are believed to contribute to liver damage and increase the probability of stroke.
- Limited Abilities – Some SARMs need to be stacked with other SARMs to be effective in some of their intended functions. A specific type of SARM may not be potent for fat loss and needs to be stacked with other SARMs. If SARMs have side effects, then stacking is doubling the chance of getting the ill effects of these synthetic drugs.
- Scarcity of Supply – Although SARMs are available online, users may be forced to go for other brands when the specific SARM run out of stock. Generally, SARMs are not sold in brick and mortar stores.